List of Modal Jazz Bands and Artists : Vote for your favorites.
Modal jazz is jazz that uses musical modes rather than chord progressions as a harmonic framework. Though earlier precedents exist, modal jazz was crystallized as a distinct theory by composer George Russell in his 1953 book Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization.
Particularly popular in the 1950s and 1960s, modal jazz is epitomized by Miles Davis's 1958 composition "Milestones", 1959 album Kind of Blue, and John Coltrane's classic quartet from 1960–64, both of which were directly inspired by Russell. Other important performers include Woody Shaw, Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, McCoy Tyner, Larry Young, Pharoah Sanders, Joe Henderson, Chick Corea and Bobby Hutcherson. Though the term comes from the use of the pitches of particular modes (or scales) in the creation of solos, modal jazz compositions or accompaniments may only or additionally make use of the following techniques:
- slow-moving harmonic rhythm, where single chords may last four to sixteen or more measures
- pedal points and drones
- absent or suppressed standard functional chord progressions
- quartal harmonies or melodies
Download List in Mind Map/Freemind Format
Download List in PDF Format
- You can vote up or down. Please always consider the context when voting, e.g. a song should be voted up or down with respect to the other songs contained on the album, an actor's performance in comparison with other actors in the same movie, a book with respect to other books by the same author or within the same genre.
- A vote can be cancelled by simply clicking the opposite vote within 24 hours. You can then vote again on the same item.
- Each user has one vote per item within a specific list every 24 hours. After 24 hours you can vote again on the same item within the same list.
- You can vote on as many items as you like within a list or on the same item if it's part of another list. For example, you can vote David Bowie up or down on the list of pop music artists as well as on the list of indie rock artists and on the list of rock music artists. etc.
- Happy Voting!